It is well-known that Zibi has a strong commitment to sustainability. In fact, its stated vision is to be Canada’s most sustainable community!
To achieve this goal, Zibi has adopted the One Planet Living (OPL) framework developed by Bioregional and the World Wildlife Fund to guide every aspect of development and operations.
One Planet Living is the vision of a world in which people enjoy happy, healthy lives within their fair share of the Earth’s resources, leaving space for wildlife and wilderness.
Last summer, Zibi opened a One Planet Living Centre to help educate the public about this framework and the great work it is doing. Here are five reasons why you should visit:
1. Learn practical tips and tricks – At the Centre, you will not only learn about Zibi’s goals and targets around the 10 OPL principles, you can see how you can apply sustainable practices to your own project or day to day life.
2. Learn about Zibi’s one of a kind District Energy System – Zibi has put in place a net-zero district energy system to heat and cool all its current and future buildings (4 million sq. ft.!). Come learn more about the Zibi Community Utility (ZCU) and its innovative use of warm effluents from Kruger and cold water from the River to keep the community warm in winter, and cool in summer!
3. The One Planet framework is aligned with the teachings of the Algonquin Anishinabe Peoples – Located in the heart of Canada’s National Capital Region, the Zibi site – like the whole region – is on unceded Algonquin Anishinabe territory. Come find out why the 10 OPL principles and their alignment with Algonquin Anishinabe teachings has earned the support of our First Nations partners.
4. Zibi is Canada’s only One Planet Living community – learn why UK-based Bioregional agreed that Zibi had the right plans in place to make it Canada’s first, and North America’s second One Planet Community!
5. Zibi is a showpiece of sustainability in the heart of the National Capital – located on the shores of the Ottawa River, and straddling two provinces and cities, Zibi is a true model of how modern communities should be developed! With its beautiful riverfront parks, Indigenous signage and artworks, the award-winning Zibi House, and the thrilling Interzip Rogers, any excuse to visit Zibi is a good one!
The One Planet Centre is open to the public Wednesdays 12-5pm. We also welcome school and group visits. Email our One Planet Ambassador at [email protected] today to book your personalized visit and see how we are poised to become Canada’s most sustainable communities.